[ExI] Whatever happened to peak oil by 2020?

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Wed May 8 14:07:38 UTC 2013

On Wed, 8 May 2013, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> On Tue, May 07, 2013 at 08:04:22PM +0200, Tomasz Rola wrote:
>
> > Perhaps this is some new kind of millenarianism. Or maybe there is
> > existential risk. Problem is, I don't think we can be absolutely sure
> > of numbers we've got. We are living in artificial domain, made of
> > education,
>
> I've been reading http://theoildrum.com/ for many years now, and their
> numbers and forecasts held up a lot better than official ones (to the
> point of official forecasts being running jokes, but of the unfunny
> variety).

Well, I've been reading them for some/few years now (with breaks) and I
really appreciate their work. But I, being raised in propaganda,
appreciate the value of double checking information and am somewhat
paranoid about it (not only it, actually, but that's irrelevant).

Besides, it is fun to dig some numbers and make one's own back of the Lisp
interpreter calculations.

> I should say it surprises me that in 2013 most people have no clue what
> Peak Fossil means, but unfortunately it doesn't surprise me. History may
> not repeat itself, but it does rhyme.

The so called people don't have a clue because most of the time (most of
lifetime) we are going on autopilot, i.e. we are actually automatons
switching from one state to another, the switch triggered by chemical
substances (in majority if not all cases) - adrenaline here, endorphines
there. This is called conservation of energy - brain remains in a standby.
You can talk to them, but their logical circuits bounce the words away. I
know, I was in this department already (albeit I was talking about
M_soft, not oil, but the lesson has been learnt).

BTW, Eugen, did your folks display "glass eyes" when you talked to them?
Just curious. Mine did. I may be pervert but I learned to find it funny (I
am zodiacal Ram, heh, so I may be pervert and make fun of strange things
all at the same time). I wonder if this phenomena is widespread or if it
was just me.

> Good luck. We all are going to need it.

Yeah. Take a seat, get a popcorn. Or if you like doing some particular
something, like experimenting with software, then do.

As of luck etc, I assume the future humanity will be even more dwarfs than
today (not physically, actually medical dwarfs are great guys, just as
everybody who overcomes his limitations, or at least tries in a convincing
manner - so "normal humans" en masse do not qualify for greatness, it's
just a bloody blob). I may live to see this, but that is not so much
important, at least in my current mood (I am actually quite optimistic
right now, just in case anybody wants to know if I have depression or
worse - I don't think so). Just MHO.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola