[ExI] Kripke is in trouble!

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed May 8 17:52:14 UTC 2013

On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 6:02 PM, Gordon wrote:
> Most grammarians are aware of the controversy surrounding the sentence
> adverb "Hopefully," as in "Hopefully, I will win the lottery." It has become
> common usage such that the AP style guide, as of a few months ago, permits
> it. Other style guides still advise against it. The AP's approval of
> "Hopefully" irritates my friend as he always instructed his students to
> avoid not only "Hopefully," but all sentence adverbs. "Fortunately, I won
> the lottery" should be written "I am fortunate to have won the lottery."

Apparently "Hopefully" has been in common usage for over 30 years with
everybody except the grammar Nazis using it. AP style guide has just
accepted that the language has changed and taken it off their list of
things to tell people not to do.

My grammar Nazi checklist doesn't even mention adverbs.

Note: NSFW

<http://picsthatdontsuck.com/pic/grammar_nazis_have_finally_snapped>

BillK