[ExI] Kripke is in trouble!

Gordon gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Mon May 13 07:16:42 UTC 2013

Harvey Newstrom <mail at HarveyNewstrom.com> wrote:

> So there is no good answer I can see.  All communications will soon be impossible.  Death of the Internet is predicted.  Grammarggedon is upon us!

Ha! :)

The Google Ngram Viewer is a useful tool for understanding when and to what extent a word or phrase became common usage. Here for example is the history of "Hopefully" in the written English language:

http://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=Hopefully&year_start=1800&year_end=2008&corpus=15&smoothing=3&share=

The word was seldom used before about 1960. To my taste, anyway, this word is not old enough to be considered proper. It makes sense only in rare sentences like "He reached hopefully for his gun in the darkness."

"Hopefully, he'll find his gun" is I think still not proper. But this really is a matter of taste.

Gordon