[ExI] Coal Gasification and CO2 (was Re: Whatever happened to peak oil by 2020?)

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Mon May 13 16:17:00 UTC 2013

On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 6:26 PM, spike <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:

> [...]

Ok, I think I'm following along... but if all you need is energy and raw
materials, why start with Coal? Why not start with CO2 sucked from the
atmosphere (should make the greens happy) and H2O (for the hydrogen) also
sucked from the atmosphere? Yes, you have more latent energy in the coal,
but if the energy is really free, then why not just create it from the
atmosphere and bag the whole disagreeable matter of mining coal in the
first place? You might even be able to produce liquid Oxygen as a nice side
benefit.

****

> If we use wind and GB solar to convert coal to Diesel, the factory will
> have inputs of water, coal and electric energy, and have outputs of octane
> and oxygen.
>
> **

I know that the chemistry works. I suspect though that what I'm proposing
has astronomical energy costs associated with it that are not borne by the
FT process.

-Kelly