[ExI] More Fermi Paradox

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed May 15 10:05:14 UTC 2013

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 10:19 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> Speaking about clusters: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B83UyWf1s-CdZnFoS2RiU2lJbEU/edit?usp=drive_web
> Pony: not yours. At least not by 2020.
>
> Little novelty there for anyone who's been paying attention,
> but this is mainstream now.

The report says 'assuming no new technology'. For the next seven years?

Quantum computing, photonic chips, spintronics, etc. might change things.
And even if new tech doesn't arrive, you wouldn't grumble about a 75%
exascale computing cluster!
(Or perhaps you would - hard to break a habit!).  :)

If we are going to do uploading and create AIs floating in space, then
new tech is definitely required. A big space mind won't be made of
silicon chips.

BillK