[ExI] Bitcoins Again

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Wed May 15 10:58:55 UTC 2013

On 2013-05-15 11:36, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 03:11:16AM -0700, Gordon wrote:
>>
>> That is certainly true. But if the US Department of Homeland Security
> Not my department, says Wernher von Braun.

This is a very important observation.

If governments were rational, cohesive actors they would implement
policies to safeguard their interests and would avoid policies that
threaten them. But the actual evidence shows that they are all over the
place: the US is simulatenously supporting Tor (help freedom movements
in the world!) and fighting it (pedophiles and terrorists are using
it!), the different branches of the US military had to be forced by law
to cooperate, the EU loves open source software and drafts laws that
make it problematic... The Federal Reserve, Secret Service and DHS do
not have a history of working together to safeguard monetary policy, and
it is pretty unlikely they are going to develop one quickly.

(And this assumes everybody is rational, does not care about
administrative turf and so on)

>> I funded my Mt. Gox account via Dwolla. For all I know, I'm now on some list at DHS.
> Everybody is on some list, somewhere. If you think you're aren't,
> you haven't done your due diligence.

Or somebody else has not done their job properly.

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute