[ExI] My mother

David Lubkin lubkin at unreasonable.com
Thu May 16 20:07:22 UTC 2013

On Mother's Day, many of my friends posted cool
pictures of theirs on Facebook. I posted a link
to one of her from early in her career at Physics Today:

<http://photos.aip.org/history/Thumbnails/lubkin_gloria_f1.jpg>

It was taken in the control room of the 76 GeV
proton synchrotron (then the most powerful in the
world) at the Institute for High Energy Physics
in Protvino, an hour south of Moscow. It was shot
in 1968 by eminent physicist Nick Christofilos,
who I best remember from a smörgåsbord he took us to at Bear Mountain.

Here's what the control room looked like in 2001.
It's interesting to see what of the original
equipment was still in use, decades later:

<http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b8/RIAN_archive_105514_U-70_atom_smasher_control_panel.jpg>

If you're curious about the facility, she wrote
about it in the October 1968 issue. Unfortunately, it's behind a paywall.

<http://www.physicstoday.org/resource/1/phtoad/v21/i10/p55_s1?isAuthorized=no>

Oh, and today's her birthday.

-- David.