[ExI] Kripke is in trouble!

Gordon gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Fri May 17 05:01:53 UTC 2013

Harvey Newstrom <mail at HarveyNewstrom.com> wrote:

>On Thursday, May 16, 2013 12:39 PM,  Stefano Vaj wrote,

>> Adverbs exist for a reason.
> Good point.  It does sound excessive to avoid an entire class of words forever.

Adverbs exist to modify verbs, adjectives and other adverbs. I agree with my retired English professor friend that they were never intended to modify entire clauses or sentences.

Unfortunately, [<-- sentence adverb] this misuse of adverbs has become pretty common. I try my best to avoid them. Embarrassingly, I sometimes slip.

Gordon