[ExI] bees again

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Sun May 19 15:51:26 UTC 2013

On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 10:42 AM, spike <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:
> My idea is to try to use genetic engineering to make the cockroach more
> attractive.  We do the gene sequencing, see if we can figure out what makes
> a bee’s wings transparent and what makes for those yellow and black stripes,
> then see if we can gene-splice those sequences and create a cockroach that
> looks like a huge bee.  Or failing that, see if we can get them to at least
> have colorful wings like a butterfly, something other than that ugly
> shit-brown they now have.  Then perhaps we can get people to grudgingly
> accept them and stop using so much pesticide, which would reduce costs and
> perhaps remove a possible factor in honeybee decline.  If we can make sheep
> that glow in the dark, we should be able to make prettier cockroaches.
>
> Have we any gene-splicing hipsters who can suggest a way to do this?

You know that revulsion reaction that makes proles reach for the
poison?  What reaction do you think they'll have in your direction
when you mix an already ugly bug with one of the top 5 offenders of
science upon proles understanding of their world: genetic engineering?
 I'm already seeing the facebook pictures being reshared of spike's
genetically engineered cockroaches big as chihuahuas and hiding under
your car.

Sorry spike, I won't be throwing any $ into this kickstarter  :)