[ExI] bees again

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun May 19 16:19:01 UTC 2013

On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 3:42 PM, spike wrote:
> OK so we have now an ongoing experiment where Europe has banned neonics to
> see if that can stop the decline of honeybees.  We can now compare Europe
> with America to get some actual data, cool.

There are some ifs and buts, though......

The ban is not yet in force. They say 'sometime before the end of 2013'.

They have only banned the three most common neonics, imidacloprid,
clothianidin and thiamethoxam.

And the ban is only on crops which are ‘attractive to bees' and on
cereals planted in the summer which cause dust clouds of toxic
chemicals to be released. Neonicotinoids can still be used on winter
crops, when bees are dormant, and in greenhouses.

The ban will be reviewed after two years, and may be extended or stopped.

The remaining two neonics, acetamiprid and thiacloprid are relatively
less potent than the other three, but their toxicity can be increased
when combined with other chemicals such as certain fungicides.
Acetamiprid and thiacloprid are used less frequently on crops, but the
problem is that they might be used to replace the main three once the
ban in force, removing any benefits that the ban would have.

> I have a theory that household pesticides may be one factor contributing to
> the decline of honeybees.  I have seen proles use half a can of Raid,
> indoors, after seeing just one roach.  This cannot be good.  Even I, the
> oddball who really likes bugs, will admit that the cockroach is an ugly bug.

Haven't you heard the saying 'There's never just one cockroach!'   :)

BillK