[ExI] D-Wave's Quantum Computer

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Thu May 23 19:41:50 UTC 2013

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 4:45 PM, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

> Scott Aaronson, the official chief D-Wave Skeptic and all-around smart
> guy, has a nice post where he tears into the issue: (starts below the two
> updates at the top)
> http://www.scottaaronson.com/**blog/?p=1400<http://www.scottaaronson.com/blog/?p=1400>
>
> He thinks we are *finally* seeing evidence for quantum behaviour, but has
> arguments why there was no real speed advantage over classical simulated
> annealing

It seems to me that one way or the other this matter will be settled soon.
D-wave says the number of qbits in it's chips has been doubling every year,
if that rate continues then by this time next year they should have a 1000
qbit chip, and if its really working by quantum annealing and not the
classical sort then is should be able to solve  QUBO type problems much
much faster than the largest supercomputer running any known classical
algorithm; and if it can't then D-wave could go the way of Bigfoot and cold
fusion.

  John K Clark