[ExI] "Is it time for a transhumanist Olympics?"

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 00:03:52 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 1:50 PM, Max More <max at maxmore.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 1:33 PM, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Wrong tone.  If this is to be done, one must get lots of people to
>> watch.  Browbeating the morality of those choosing to watch or not watch
>> will not accomplish this.  Instead, play up how this would enhance those
>> things that sports fans tune in to watch in the first place.
>>
>> Unfortunately, it is difficult to portray base drama and get average
>> viewers to relate, when the subject matter is far beyond what most viewers
>> think they might personally experience
>>
> If so, how do you explain the tremendous popularity of superhero movies?
> Or science fiction? Or all the dramatic fiction involving things far beyond
> what most viewers expect to experiences personally?

Different audience.  They might overlap somewhat, but in fiction there's no
premise that this is really happening, which can induce the audience to
engage in willing suspension of disbelief.  They can think, "Okay, I know
this didn't actually happen, but if I were in this situation I might feel
thusly".

With sports, the audience might imagine themselves athletes, or to relate
to the athlete as a representative of wherever they happen to live.  It is
harder for most of them to imagine themselves transhuman athletes, or to
accept them as representatives.

Consider your average, mundane American citizen.  Ask them which one they
think best represents America at war: a foot soldier, a tank, or a UAV.  I
suspect the first answer would get the most votes.  (Conversely, ask an
average citizen of the Middle East, and the UAV might be most commonly
selected.)