[ExI] What happens when Bitcoin goes to a million bucks?

Max More max at maxmore.com
Thu Nov 7 06:10:15 UTC 2013

Brent: You say that "Everyone should have at least one Bitcoin". I don't
pretend to have a good understanding of bitcoins, despite having read
(lightly) many posts here and some articles (such as the helpful one by
Keegan Macintosh in the November issue of *Cryonics*), but I do have the
strong feeling that I really ought to have a few of these peculiar things.
However, my impression is that it's now too late -- that you can only
generate new bitcoins if you have some fairly serious computing power.

Is this right? If so, are there any reasonably non-speculative ways to
acquire bitcoins?

My question is not just from a personal perspective. Several people would
like to pay for their some part of their cryopreservation (or gift Alcor)
using Bitcoins, so I would like to understand the situation better.

--Max

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 10:12 PM, Brent Allsop <brent.allsop at canonizer.com>wrote:

> Transhumanist economists,
>
> As most of you know, in 2010, some guy purchased about $25 worth of
> Bitcoin, which is now worth over $800K.  My working hypothesis is that this
> will continue and that before 2020, Bitcoin will be worth a million bucks.
>  It's so funny to tell people that, and see them look at you with that
> "Your CRAZY" look in their eyes, as they say "A Bitcoin isn't going to be
> worth a million bucks!"
>
> Have you checked the price of Gold, lately?  It's been crashing,
> dramatically, for 2 years now.  Why do you think?  The so called gold
> experts, are saying things like:
>
> "The bear market in gold has been going on for two years. It seems to fly
> in the face of fundamentals, as central banks print enough currency to
> paper the world."
>
> Once you factor in the fact that there is a new competitor in town, and
> that people are starting to sell Gold to buy Bitcoin, that explains what
> otherwise doesn't make sense to these traditional gold "experts" that have
> made lots of money up till two years ago.  In other words, All the money
> that is in the pockets of holders of Gold, is now flowing into the pockets
> of holders of Bitcoins, at a very rapid rate.
>
> And My belief is that this Gold casualty that is just getting started, is
> just the first casualty.  It will soon spread to stocks, bonds, real
> estate, and anything with value that can be sold.  All the money in the
> pockets of the people holding them, will be quickly draining into the
> pockets of Bitcoiners at an increasing accelerating rate.
>
> Bitcoin, as many experts are starting to say: "is simply the best
> investment out there, bar none."  So what would you expect?  Money flows to
> where it is treated the best, just like water flows downhill.  And if you
> have a Bitcoin in your pocket, that is looking increasingly tempting.
>
> As the cost of money and interest rates starts to skyrocket, as all
> sources of capital continue to flow into Bitcoin what will happen? I think
> at least the following will happen:
>
> 1.    People will be selling anything they can liquidate, so they can buy
> Bitcoin.  Even at a loss, since that loss will soon be made up for, once it
> is in Bitcoin.  (Do you think a tax penalty of 10%, will stop people from
> liquidating their IRAs?)
> 2.    People will be borrowing money, mortgaging things, like their house,
> to buy Bitcoins, because no interest rate will come close to the rate at
> which Bitcoin will continue to go up.
> 3.    The price of stocks will decline.  The PE ratio of stocks has
> historically been at around 20.   This will drop by half or more, as nobody
> will want to buy stocks, unless it is a very good value.  The greatly
> reduced PE, will become "the new normal" and it will be much harder to make
> money by going public.
> 4.    Interest rates will go up significantly, because of the demand for
> money, to buy Bitcoins.
> [...]

Max More, PhD
Strategic Philosopher
Co-editor, *The Transhumanist Reader*
http://www.amazon.com/Transhumanist-Reader-Contemporary-Technology-Philosophy/dp/1118334310/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1372225570&sr=1-1&keywords=the+transhumanist+reader
President & CEO, Alcor Life Extension Foundation