[ExI] What happens when Bitcoin goes to a million bucks?

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Nov 7 16:22:38 UTC 2013

>>...unless we want to get into 'virtual' bitcoins. ;) Regards, Omar Rahman

>.Can you buy shares in a bitcoin?  .  I might plunk down a few bucks for a
centi-bitcoin.  Spike

There was something vaguely analogous to a proto-bitcoin, if you don't push
the analogy too hard.  Prime95 was an early internet organized search in
nature for something: Mersenne primes, started in 1995.  Each time one is
discovered, it becomes the largest known prime number, so the discoverer is
for a time a world record holder.  For some people, being on that short list
means exactly nothing to them; they might not even know anything about prime
numbers at all.  They might not even realize the computer used to find that
number is worth tens of thousands as a museum piece.

A newly discovered Mersenne prime is worth at least tens of thousands to the
right buyer, but unlike bitcoin, they cannot be sold multiple times: once it
goes into the record books, it is there forever.  So I would argue that
running Prime95 is analogous in many ways to bitcoin mining, except far more
difficult to find one and with much higher potential rewards.