[ExI] kepler study says 8.8e9 earthlike planets

Andrew Mckee andymck35 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 04:46:01 UTC 2013

On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 05:12:31 +1300, John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> I must reluctantly conclude that we are missing something fundamental,
>>

> I think one of the fundamental things we don't understand very well is
> how
> life originated. In fact as far as we know right now, even the entire
> observable universe is FAR too small to have made the existence of the
> simplest known bacteria likely. And natural selection couldn't reduce the
> odds until heredity was invented, only then do Darwin's ideas come into
> play.  So life simply can't exist, and yet it does, so we're missing
> something.

Not to be seen flogging a 'kooky' horse, but it would seem to me prudent
to look at all the arguments being put forth, especially if current
scientific theories seem to be falling short of a completely satisfying
explanation of how life could arise on earth like planets.

For instance, if (yes, big IF I know) the EU crowd are right and electric
plasma fusion of the elements is occurring in the suns photosphere, and
thanks to sunspots and solar flares, is being regularly flung outwards
into electrically confined plasma streams where they can mix and mingle
and fuse into simple organic molecules, before being deposited onto the
surfaces of earth like planets by the cubic boatload.

Then surely that would be a major game changer to the balance of
probabilities of life self assembling from a thick, frequently mutating
bio-molecular soup.

And even better, it's a hypothesis we can actually test for isn't it?,
surely a far better thing to muse over than a bunch of untestable numbers
that just don't seem to add up.

YMMV.