[ExI] kepler study says 8.8e9 earthlike planets

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Nov 9 14:33:41 UTC 2013

.... On Behalf Of BillK
Subject: Re: [ExI] kepler study says 8.8e9 earthlike planets

On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 1:03 PM, Kelly Anderson  wrote:
> And yet mars currently lacks a molten core. It also lacks the
> magnetosphere that would protect martians from radiation. Would mars
> count as one of the planets counted by NASA in this survey?

I think there is still debate about Mars.

<http://www.astrobio.net/pressrelease/395/martian-liquid-center>
Quote:
>...Researchers at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif.,
analyzing three years of radio tracking data from the Mars Global Surveyor
spacecraft, concluded that Mars has not cooled to a completely solid iron
core, rather its interior is made up of either a completely liquid iron core
or a liquid outer core with a solid inner core. Their results are published
in the March 7, 2003 online issue of the journal Science...

Ja.  The six elements known to be common to all lifeforms are CHONSP,
roughly in that order by mass.  All six of those are found on the surface of
Mars.  At one time it had water and a reducing atmosphere.  I don't know for
sure if it qualifies as a Goldilocks planet.  To make that criterion water
must exist in all three phases in equilibrium, as it does here on a frosty
foggy morning, or on a misty forest pond.  Actually I don't know if the
definition requires ice, (probably not, there is no natural ice in the
tropical rain forest.)  Water and vapor is all you would need.