[ExI] Dark Matter

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Tue Nov 12 08:24:40 UTC 2013

On 2013-11-11 11:57, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 08:00:33AM +0000, Anders Sandberg wrote:
>
>> In between
>> these target places there is an awful lot of places that would feel
>> big to me if I were in them, but since I have never been to Ipswich
>> I do not have any feel for it. It is just a point on my mental map
>> (with a sticky note saying it was used in a Monty Python joke).
> I think the failure is due to absence of evolutionary pressures
> to evolve e.g. place cell representations for large scale landscapes.
> When navigating there, you string along landmarks -- probably a
> different representation (linear memory sequence) from place
> cells.

Yup. Distance is experienced in terms of passed landmarks and/or
perceived movement in a space. This is why travel by subway makes a
city's geography very warped.

Enhanced place and grid cells would be awesome. Imagine a google map
interface for the hippocampus.

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute