[ExI] What happens when Bitcoin goes to a million bucks?

Mirco Romanato painlord2k at libero.it
Thu Nov 14 13:23:08 UTC 2013

Il 14/11/2013 09:08, Kelly Anderson ha scritto:

> I get all these advantages of Bitcoin. The question remains as to how
> this specifically relates to the Singularity. Sorry if I'm being dense
> here, it is late.

In the past we (humans or protohumans) moved from a social group formed
by collaborators (help others) AND exploiters (exploit collaborators)
AND not collaborators (do not collaborate but are not exploited).

This configurations limit the group size and the type of cooperation
possible.

The advent of the altruistic punisher v1.0 allowed the group to flourish
and become larger (it limited the number of exploiters in small groups).
Larger groups were able to wipe out smaller groups and most important to
not be wiped out by natural causes (like wolves or hyenas packs).

Then Altruistic Punisher 2.0 come out and instead to punish just the
exploiters & defectors it punished them AND the individuals unwilling to
join the punishing efforts. This allowed the groups to grow larger and
larger, without real limits of sizes, because larger the group less
costly is the punishing effort.

But, as larger groups we changed the environment around ourselves in
many ways. This allowed the exploiters and the defectors to find new
strategies to exploit the collaborators and the punishers without being
detected or making the punishing unsustainable.

Politicians and bureaucrats are in  position to exploit people with
little or no repercussion to their reproductive fitness, because they do
it with many degree of separation and are able to deflect blame in many
cases.

In many cases, this is done by writing and continuously changing rules
and administering them to regulate the conflicts between individuals (at
least this is the stated rationale). This confound the individual at
individual level because in many cases he is unable to tell if someone
act with malice or is pushed by other forces to act in the way he act.

Bitcoin and the blockchain, acting as a ledger of properties and
possessions, is able to take away the obscure and intricate rules of
laws and the discretion they are enforced with.
If a rule is decided between two parties, the rule can not be broken.
If the majority accept a rule, it can not be changed easily after by a
minority, interpreted differently and so on. There is no "depend of what
the means of is is", because if someone is able to change the mean of
is, it must change it for all at the same time (and it would not be
pretty to see the after effects on everyone him included).

Without central banks to be able to redistribute the wealth from
producers to exploiters (a little elite) a lot of more capital could be
accumulated by producers making their lives better and allowing them to
thrive and produce even more wealth and science and technology.

Without judges and prosecutors able to selectively enforce rules a lot
of bad laws would be striked down.
Without the money, a lot of police would not spend time running around
to punish people for victimless crimes.

And so on.

Mirco