[ExI] [tt] Molecular robot mimics life's protein-builder

Adam A. Ford tech101 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 22:53:10 UTC 2013

This paper I just stumbled on recently - the full paper is
here<http://www.catenane.net/pdfs/articles/Leigh%20Sequential%20Peptide%20Synthesis%20Science%202013.pdf>.
And on the Leigh Group website <http://www.catenane.net/> they state "Over
the last decade we have developed some of the first examples—all be they
primitive by biological standards—of functional synthetic molecular level
machines and motors"

>From someone who does not have a strong background in physics and chemistry
let alone nanotechnology, what they are doing at the Leigh
group<http://www.catenane.net/>looks interesting, but I wonder if my
enthusiasm for nanotech is coloring
my assessment.
Has anyone here spoken to David A. Leigh about this work?  Or done any
serious investigation?

What some people seem to take away from the Drexler/Smalley debate is that
molecular manufacturing is science fiction (might be possible in a few
centuries), and that molecular assemblers are fantasy (might be possible in
another universe or in VR).  More moderate skeptics may suggest that
molecular manufacturing beyond biology is folly. I get this impression from
the lecturers of the coursera 'Nanotechnology' MOOC.

Does Leigh's example of a synthetic molecular machine make one more
optimistic about the possibility of molecular manufacturing?

Does it support Drexler's vision of nanotechnology?

Are there any other research or engineering projects that show promise for
molecular manufacturing?

p.s. Apologies for all the questions, but this looks pretty interesting.

Kind regards,

Adam A. Ford
Director - Humanity+ Global, Director - Humanity+ Australia, Chair - Humanity+
@ Melbourne Summit
 Chair - Singularity Summit Australia
Director - Future Day

Mob: +61 421 979 977 | Email:  tech101 at gmail.com
<http://summit.singinst.org.au>

*Science, Technology & the Future <http://hplusconf.com.au>*
conference on *30th
Nov - 1st Dec 2013*. *"The conference will feature a diverse range of
presenters from across the globe. Scientists, Engineers, Artists and
Philosophers will discuss evidence-based research, community awareness of
rapid technological change, and scenarios for navigating our future."*

*Future Day <http://futureday.org> - "Join the conversation on Future Day
March 1st to explore the possibilities about how the future is transforming
us. You can celebrate Future Day however you like, the ball is in your
court — feel free to send a photo of your Future Day gatherings to
info at futureday.org <info at futureday.org>, and your jubilation may wind up
being commemorated on the Future Day website and the Facebook page!
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Future-Day/237779372974327>"*

Humanity+ <http://humanityplus.org> | Humanity+
Australia<http://hplusconf.com.au>| Singularity
Summit Australia <http://singularitysummit.com.au> |
Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Singularity-Summit-Australia/136972026316342?v=app_2344061033>|
Twitter <http://twitter.com/singsum_au> |
YouTube<http://youtube.com/TheRationalFuture>| Future
Day <http://FutureDay.org>

"A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move
toward higher levels." ("Atomic Education Urged by Albert Einstein", New
York Times, 25 May 1946)

<http://hplusconf.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/H+logo_mauve_embossed_dropshadow_trans.png>