[ExI] What happens when Bitcoin goes to a million bucks?

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Sat Nov 23 19:32:14 UTC 2013

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 7:43 AM, Eugenio Martínez <rolandodegilead at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Am I Catholic, by no means. I desire to live, for a long time if possible.
>> The utopia you describe does not square with the idea that everyone must
>> earn the right to occupy their niche. Against homo silicensiensus, we stand
>> little hope of successfully occupying our previous niche for long.
>>

> Mmmm... So you don´t want us to develop a strong IA. That´s another
> discussion.
> Probably a strong Ai it´s going to arrive. What I was debating was what
> can we do with it.

I didn't say that I don't want to develop it. I have simply come to terms
with the fact that it seems likely to lead to widespread human
depopulation, if not outright extinction. I think it possible that
unenhanced humans will become one more in a list of endangered species
brought about by the further technological progress of the planet.
Personally, I'm now more or less ok with that. What is important to me is
the progress of human-like or human-inspired thought. Not necessarily the
progress of humans in their current physical state.

The question, almost by definition, is not what we can do with it, but
rather what it will do with us. Is this not as obvious as the sun in the
sky?

At this point, we determine what computers do for the most part. But even
saying that many people have their days driven serving the machine. Perhaps
answering emails, texting, twittering or interacting on the book of face.
Perhaps pinning their pinterest pictures, or working on Amazon Turk or
editing Wikipedia. We are already slaves to the machine to the extent that
we choose to be. Many are playing protein folding games, or solving
captchas. This trend seems to me to be increasing.

As the machine learns to entertain us by giving us diverting tasks to
accomplish, we will become its servant to a greater and greater extent
until it learns to do all the things we now do for it. Once that becomes
the case, then what need more does it have of us?

-Kelly