[ExI] Double-Earth (Was: kepler study says 8.8e9 earthlike planets)

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Nov 26 16:31:59 UTC 2013

Doh!  I meant 640C, not 640K.  Embarrasskin!

Here's something cool: the Pu alpha decays to 240Np, which is denser, so it
sinks toward the center, but really doesn't have time to go far with that
hour half-life to 240Pu, but then the concentration of 240Pu goes up and
heats up, so I suppose it would boil, but under enormous pressure perhaps
not, so it isn't clear if a critical mass eventually results.  At about 900K
starting temperature, the radiative heat loss to space isn't much, and there
is gravitational heating as the helium bubbles to the surface and the radius
decreases, resulting in heating.

Wowsers I need to get to work on a sim of this, oy.  My intuition tells me
it eventually creates enough Pu240 to create a critical mass.  It alphas
down to Uranium 236 with a half-life of about 6600 years.  Then some of that
alphas to 232U and a little of it undergoes honest fission to lead and
magnesium.  What I don't know is if a critical mass in the center of an
enormous ball of Pu244 does what we are so accustomed to critical masses
doing.

Any nucular physicists, do feel free to jump in and help me here.

Hey I wonder if the feds are getting nervous watching me google around on
plutonium and uranium?

spike