[ExI] FDA Tells Google-Backed 23andMe to Halt DNA Test Service

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Nov 26 21:49:48 UTC 2013

Subject: Re: [ExI] FDA Tells Google-Backed 23andMe to Halt DNA Test Service

El 2013-11-26 21:21, BillK escribió:
> On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 6:59 AM, Brian Manning Delaney  wrote:
>>>... marketing it (for a particular purpose) the same as /selling/ it
>> (without mentioning said, or any, purpose)? Doesn't seem like it, but
>> I'm no expert in regulatory law.
>>

>>... 'Marketing' as the FDA regulations use the term, means 'Offering for
sale'.

>...Makes sense of course, but it would have been clearer if they had just
written "stop selling".

>...It is curious, however, that selling is precisely what 23andMe has not
stopped doing. I know someone who purchased a kit (well, ordered and paid
for a kit) a few hours ago.

>...Brian

The term "marketing" is one I would interpret as advertising.  It isn't
clear to me they are being ordered to stop selling it.  If they meant stop
selling, they should have used the very specific term selling.  The spit
kits are available by other means besides 23andMe.  You can buy one at the
pharmacy, then send it to them with a fee.  I don't know the accuracy or the
details on that, just repeating something I read somewhere, so it could be
wrong.