[ExI] FDA Tells Google-Backed 23andMe to Halt DNA Test Service

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Nov 26 22:18:53 UTC 2013

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes
Sent: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 8:42 AM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] FDA Tells Google-Backed 23andMe to Halt DNA Test Service

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 10:59 PM, Brian Manning Delaney
<listsb at infinitefaculty.org> wrote:

>>. The FDA letter
(http://www.fda.gov/.../WarningLetters/2013/ucm376296.htm) as I read it,
only orders 23andMe to stop marketing the saliva collection kit. .

>.Marketing and sales are intertwined in this case.  Unless they have a
sales channel that strips out all reason from why you would want to buy
their kit (which in practice does not generate significant sales in any but
a very few cases, of which they're not one), they would inherently be
"marketing" it every time they tried to make a sale.

At this point, those kits are selling themselves.  I have sold four of them
to family members in a quest to find out something I now almost wish I
didn't know.  It has now created a chain reaction of sorts, with more kits
being sold to cousins of cousins who want to know things they might later
regret.