[ExI] Double-Earth (Was: kepler study says 8.8e9 earthlike planets)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Nov 27 07:26:27 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 09:24:12PM +0000, Anders Sandberg wrote:

> >Hey I wonder if the feds are getting nervous watching me google
> >around on plutonium and uranium?
> >

> It is when you start downloading neutron diffusion codes they get
> really nervous...

It is surprising how much you can piece together from Carey Sublette
and Curve of Binding Energy alone (I was looking for a recipe for
Fogbank).

If he was alive today, Theodore Taylor would probably agree that
fusion weapons are no longer inaccessible to a moderately sophisticated
group. The state of the art for EFP and radiation hydrodynamics (fusion
and astrophysics research) is quite advanced and available, and powerful
computers are dirt cheap.

If yield is effectively infinite you no longer can make assumptions
about optimal placement, and just watch the hotspots. The US foreign
policy is particularly perilous in such an environment.