[ExI] FDA Tells Google-Backed 23andMe to Halt DNA Test Service

Brian Manning Delaney listsb at infinitefaculty.org
Wed Nov 27 20:18:47 UTC 2013

El 2013-11-27 21:03, Dave Sill escribió:

> Well, gosh, yes, if a genetic test shows that I'm more likely to get a
> disease, I'll probably change my behavior to avoid that disease. How is
> that harmful, even if the test turns out to have been wrong?

Well, here's an example.

Everyone "knows" that, in general, light to moderate daily consumption
of alcohol reduces mortality more than drinking more, or drinking less.
(Turns out that's a bit controversial, but let's leave that aside.) The
link to dementia is particularly strong. Let's say you get your 23andMe
results back, and discover you're an APOE-ε4 carrier. 23andMe tells you
the odds of your developing Alzheimer's is much greater than avg. You do
some digging and learn that, for ε4-carriers, the "little is better than
none" rule about drinking doesn't apply: the more you drink, starting
from zero, the greater the risk.

So you become a teetotaler.

But say it turns out you aren't an ε4-carrier. Well, you changed your
behavior, and it was harmful (assuming the J-curve idea about alcohol
consumption -- at least for non-ε4 carriers -- is correct).

Brian