[ExI] FDA Tells Google-Backed 23andMe to Halt DNA Test Service

Brian Manning Delaney listsb at infinitefaculty.org
Wed Nov 27 22:56:12 UTC 2013

El 2013-11-27 21:34, Adrian Tymes escribió:

> A better and more relevant example: what if your digging turns out to be
> wrong, and c4 carriers' minimum risk is greater than average?

That's a risk that attends all consultations with Dr. Google, Dr.
PubMed, etc.

> And what if 23andMe tells you specifically that you need to drink more
> or less than average, when in fact it's the opposite?  They're right
> that you're a c4-carrier, but not what it means.

Well, 23andMe /does/ make a lot of health recommendations, but the recs.
are very conservative, and phrased very conservatively. Not, "you need
to", but, for ex., under Alzheimer's (and this is what they tell
ε4-carriers /and/ non-carriers, I see now -- I manage several accounts):

-------
Eat right

A healthy, low-fat diet can not only help you maintain healthy weight
and cholesterol, but can also help reduce your risk of Alzheimer's.
-------

There are a lot of complicated legal questions here, and I am definitely
not convinced that what the FDA is doing is wrong (or right). But my
tentative conclusion is that they should be putting their limited
resources into serious fraud, which abounds in the U.S., and which they
probably won't find much of at 23andMe.

Brian