[ExI] FDA Tells Google-Backed 23andMe to Halt DNA Test Service

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Fri Nov 29 15:20:53 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 3:29 PM, Mike Dougherty <msd001 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 3:21 PM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> So 23andMe now have to prove that their tests actually work. If they
>> say a subject is at risk of a disease, they have to prove it.
>>

> In a similar move to protect the public, the Library of Congress just told
> churches they aren't allowed to read from their bible until god is proven
> to exist.  Unfortunately most of what churchians hoped to use for evidence
> is contained in their book.
>
> Oh right, separation of Church and State...  but the State still controls
> Science, eh?  damn.
>
> Seems the NSA has a right to our activity information while the FDA has
> some right to our genetic information.
>
> Perhaps 23andMe can just reincorporate as a religious institution and
> claim the testing equipment is some form of sacrament process?
>
> Yes, I'm being facetious... and perhaps rude/mildly offensive about it.
>  Sorry 'bout that.

Perhaps they should take a page from the book used by the sex toys
industry. All they would have to do is say, "This is for entertainment
purposes only. Not meant to really diagnose a damn thing." After all, if a
vibrating dildo is not a medical device, then a swab in the mouth should
not be either, so long as they don't make any real medical claims about it.

-Kelly