[ExI] Luna Ring Solar Power

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sat Nov 30 21:58:38 UTC 2013

On 2013-11-30 13:45, giorgio gaviraghi wrote:
> we don't need centralize solar farms. Each building will carry its
> own, same with roads that will power the vehicles
> we must decentralize power generation get rid of power lines, stations
> and so on

The problem is deeper than that. Solar power is inefficient in many
parts of the world - consider Scandinavia, especially above the polar
circle. Worse, it is periodic and has peaks that does not correspond to
peak demand: I assume you do not want to only have road and rail traffic
during summer days. Even 100% efficient cells would not really solve
this. In order to actually work as a major energy source it requires
*much* better storage methods or *much* better transmission.

This is also why the lunar ring approach is so problematic: it will be
off 12 hours at a time, and needs to be transmitted from rectennas (in
the imagery located inconveniently and expensively in the ocean).

If you want to really help mankind, invent a really good (large
capacity, many cycles) rechargeable battery. The rest is easy.

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute