[ExI] Another step towards uploading

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 14:52:50 UTC 2013

On Oct 4, 2013, at 12:11 AM, Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:

> > After neural scan you would have to do some very heavy brute-force
> computations to yield the simplified models. All should be doable though,
> as long as the scan is of sufficient quality.

Right now the most detailed scans of entire brains were not obtained by
freezing but by chemical fixation and then cutting the brain into thin
slices, some only 30 nanometers or about 100 atoms thick and photographing
the slices. I wish the good people at Alcor would say something about
chemical fixation, the same process Drexler advocated in "Engines of
Creation". I haven't heard any mention of chemopreservation from Alcor
since a short 2009 article that I didn't think was very good.

 John K Clark