[ExI] another step towards uploading

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sun Oct 6 17:25:11 UTC 2013

Ah, I think you misread me (in an interesting direction). I was not
talking about dendritic tree computation, just finding out what was in
the different synapses. If you do not know whether they are
glutaminergic or dopaminergic, it doesn't matter how much you try to
brute force what the rest of the cell is doing.

I think people tend to overestimate how hard it is to run a nonlinear
neuron model. The big problem is getting the parameters right, not the
actual simulation - that is mostly a matter of running a lot of HH-like
equations, and optimizing for your available computational substrates.
Getting enough data from tissue to pin down the simulation parameters
*and* check that it produces sensible results (especially since the data
collection might have ruined the cell for comparision and testing), that
is the challenge. A super-resolution scan might still be worthless if it
doesn't tell you what you need to know.

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute