[ExI] it was the best times, it was the best of times

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 10:14:20 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 4:36 AM, Kelly Anderson  wrote:
<snip>
> I've known many rich people myself. None of them are sitting on their ass or
> their money the way you seem to think they do. All of them are busy
> investing or building something. Maybe there is something different about
> rich people in Utah than in other places, but I rather doubt it. Would you
> like to pull a number out of your butt to back up your view of capital
> amassment?
>
> Even rich people who do sit on their asses have money men who invest for
> them. They don't buy millions of dollars worth of savings bonds for heck
> sake. It is ridiculous to say that rich folk's money doesn't do anything.
> Numbers please.

Well, there are a few well-known rich tech people building rockets,
planes, robots, etc. But these few seem to be vastly outweighed by the
unknown rich.

In 2013 there were 442 US billionaires. A lot were in hedge funds /
finance industry (of course).
There are about 50,000 super-rich (over 30 million USD) and over 5
million mere millionaires.

So there are plenty of people with money to do stuff. But there seems
to be very little news about what they might be doing with their
wealth.

BillK