[ExI] Meditations on the million year mind.

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Oct 9 16:16:53 UTC 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Eugen Leitl

>...We all are playing one game: russian roulette...

We should come up with a new name for that game.  Commie crap shoot?  While
we are at it, we need a name for the practice of opting out of health
insurance, paying the tax penalty and hoping for the best, which still
externalizes risk onto the other tax payers.  Suggestions welcome, extra
credit for alliteration, such as Capitalist Coinflip or American Insecurity.

>... The outcome for that is certain: information-theoretic death. Several
people on this list, who all hoped that uploading will become available are
now carbon dioxide. Frankly, you're next...

Oh now that's just cold.  Adrian is a young healthy guy, a perfect example
of the kind of person who will weigh the cost of health insurance vs the
price of the tax penalty for not having it, then opt out.

We get your point however.  Many of even the young and healthy among us will
be taking the nitrogen dive or the dirt nap some time in the next 50 years.
I can show you examples of space hardware that hasn't changed at all in the
past 50 years, stuff that is part of missile guidance systems that have been
proven to work, so they don't mess with them.  It is too easy to imagine
those bits will still be exactly the same 50 yrs from now.  In that way, we
aerospace types get a feel for how long it takes for some revolutions.  I am
reminded of a line from a song by the Eagles "...things in this life change
very slowly if they ever change at all..."

Cryonics appears to me to be the best shot we have now, but I am open to
suggestion if someone has an alternative.