[ExI] What if humans were twice as intelligent?

rex rex at nosyntax.net
Mon Oct 21 09:44:36 UTC 2013

Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> [2013-10-21 01:34]:
>On 2013-10-21 01:46, rex wrote:
>>Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> [2013-10-19 15:15]:
>>>Some updated runs with my model:
>>>http://www.aleph.se/andart/archives/2013/10/the_morons_are_marching_rather_slowly.html
>>>
>Each loci either does nothing (0 state) or it adds a fixed
>Gaussian-distributed random number to the overall IQ (1 state). They
>are initialized as 50% ones.
>
>Crossover is done by selecting a random point in the (linear) genome
>and making everything before it the same as parent 1's genome, and
>everything after parent 2's genome.

Thanks! I've never used Matlab, but used Octave for a small project
years ago, so I tried to run your code under Octave. It appears
to run, but fails after several minutes with the warning:

Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/65-droid-sans-fonts.conf", line 103: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not work as expected

I suspect it's the plot(ff) statement that is causing the problem. No
plot is produced.

Rather than try to track down the plot() incompatibility, I'm going
to try to translate your code to R. There may be some sticky spots,
and I hope you don't mind my asking about them.

-rex
than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to
say what the experiment died of.  -- Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher