[ExI] Life extension

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 20:04:45 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 7:11 AM, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

> On 2013-10-22 10:28, Eugen Leitl wrote:
>

>>>  Oops. There is no validated anti-aging therapy yet.
>>
> Which reminds me. I will be talking to UK policymakers next week about
> life extension. What policy suggestions ought I make?

I'm sure you've heard what Aubrey de Grey has to say on this topic. If you
haven't, go looking for it. The biggest insight I think he's had is that
you don't talk about life extension. Particularly radical life extension.
You talk about people living healthy into older age. Nobody can argue with
the desire for a healthy 90 year old, but lots of people get damn nervous
when you talk about a bunch of 140 year olds running around. Aubrey has
come to the conclusion, accurately I think, that talking about healthy 90
year olds is better political theater.

The funny thing is that it is just another way of saying the same thing. If
we're going to have governments involved in funding health research at all
(something I'm totally against of course) then they should spend some of
that money on helping people stay out of nursing homes longer.

-Kelly