[ExI] chilling effects

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Fri Oct 25 16:29:43 UTC 2013

On 2013-10-25 16:46, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> I have a fair chance of hiding from companies. I have very little
> chance of intelligence agencies missing even a single significant
> potential troublemaker. If you're worried if you qualify, yep,
> you definitely do. And the nail that sticks out gets hammered,
> eventually. The chilling effect is fully intended.

I am starting to think a lot of chilling effects are home-made too.

A while ago a friend told me in all sincerity that I must not criticise
stupid aspects of Islam publicly, because I would be at a risk for
violence. Yes, criticising a view that has some violent adherents does
up your risk, but when you do the numbers it is clear that the actual
risk is minuscule. Human risk biases do the real job here: a few
well-published beheadings or FBI raids, and the availability heuristic
will make people think there are jihadists and spooks around every corner.

But there is a more insidious aspect: our drive for attention and
importance makes us brew chilling effects. A lot of people I meet deal
with things that are fairly important and controversial. But most of
what they do is, let's face it, boring low social status research or
activism. In that situation it is easy to make what you do more
impressive by warning about how the Powers That Be are against it and
will stop at nothing in order to prevent their work. It is an easy claim
(especially when it has *some* grain of truth), slots into paranoia
receptors, and gives the desired admiration for bravery. But it also
serves to convince a lot of people that dealing with the whole area is
scary and dangerous, best left to the James Bond hacktivist.

Most dire warnings I hear about how the Powers are doing sinister things
seem to be more about getting attention and playing human social games
than actual intel. And they do damage by their chilling effects - I have
met people who are afraid of being associated with cryptography or
working for better intelligence oversight because they do believe the
talk. That talk was not produced by psyops spooks, but bona fide
crypto-activists.

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute