[ExI] MiNTing (or if you must, APM) library

paul michael zyttyz at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 27 03:10:05 UTC 2013

Hello ~

I've been studying MNT for about 15 years now, basically trying to map the
societal implications of MiNTing (thank you Damien Broderick!) will
have on the US economy (sorry, I don't really know much about other countries).  Some of the concerns I had have been unrolling
rather well, such as: what will happen to the integrity of money against MiNTing counterfeiting?
Answer:  Bitcoin (sort of) and the prevalence of plastic money cards.
How will people access their MiNTing device?  Answer:  3D printing software or a variance thereof.

BTW Robert Bradbury wrote an article concerning money and MNT that I remember worked out the money problem really well, does anyone have a copy?

At one of the Foresight meetings (I can't remember which one)  we had a
breakout the discussed 'the societal implications of MNT' and we came
up with the idea that a MNT transitional society would need something like a UL stamp of approval for the MiNTing software.  Why?  Because think about it - a scrip kiddie decides that it would be 'fun' to change the molecular
design of cotton such that in sunlight the clothes made from this cotton turn transparent or some such thing (some hot actress naked?).  Or, MiNTing a rug that turns to slag when hit by UV - really bad for your floor.  Designers today don't need to know chemistry to make
clothes, or rug makers, wool so for MiNTing it would be a really good
idea to have some sort of 'library' of software that would MiNT at the
basic molecular level then let user's design at the macro level.  Does
this make any sense?  I've been watching for this 'library' and can't
find even a hint of it existing.  Do you know of any group that is
working on this?  Is it still too early?  It will be probably the most
important aspect of the transitional MNTing economy, integrity at the basic molecular level.

By 'transitional MiNTing economy' I  mean the first decade or so of going from our current manufacturing style to the MNT/APM for everyday (excluding food) items.  So much of the literature skips over the difficulties of this transition and blightly extolls the wonderful things everybody is going to be able to play with.

Any ideas?
mimzy