[ExI] Bitcoin effect on the Fed's abilities? (Was Re: Inflation graph)

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at canonizer.com
Sun Oct 27 18:07:04 UTC 2013

Thanks John,

This is all very interesting information about Inflation.

It'll be very interesting to see how Bitcoin start effecting this
durring the next decade.  Currently, when we get to far ahead of
ourselves, and head into a "great recession", the federal reserve is
able to help keep it from becoming a depression by printing and spending
lots of money (largely on stupid things like the government buying used
cars to be destroyed).

The big problem is, when we head into such retractions, there has never
been any place to invest money, as everything crashes in value, even
cash if the federal reserve is printing it, as it should.  But Bitcoin
is dramatically changing this Big time. Anything like the US government
threatening a default on their loans, causes the price of Bitcoin to
rocket.  The next time things turn down, I'm going to have all my
capital in Bitcoins, as they are sure to explode in value.

Sure, people say deflation is a bad thing, but not if people are getting
stinking rich by holding Bitcoins.  Then they can spend such wealth on
much better things than buying used cars to destroy.

In such a world, printing money may help stop deflation of the dollar,
but what about virtual currencies?  What effect will that have on
Governments attempting to stimulate economies?  What is the next 'great
recession' going to be like?

Brent Allsop