[ExI] Warren Buffett is worried too and thinks Republicans are "asinine"

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Oct 29 01:37:32 UTC 2013

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Kelly Anderson
Sent: Monday, October 28, 2013 2:29 PM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] Warren Buffett is worried too and thinks Republicans are
"asinine"

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 5:57 AM, Mirco Romanato <painlord2k at libero.it>
wrote:

The problem in this reasoning is to impute to the POTUSes the
responsibility of deficit spending.
Is the legislative branch totally innocent?

>.Though you wouldn't know it from recent media reports, the House of
Representatives has the constitutional power of the purse in the United
States. Whenever they responsibly execute that constitutional privilege,
they are jumped on by EVERYONE.

Bet they won't this time (in January.)  The news people sold a narrative
that the Republicans and Tea Party were being intransigent, but in fact the
day the Supreme Court declared the ACA a tax, the house became the boss over
that.  The house has never voted for the ACA since it was declared a tax.
Right after the phony a-faux-calypse on the 16th, they were at a low point.
Now they appear to me to have regained all the lost ground and then some, as
Americans gain a better appreciation every day for how badly bungled was the
rollout.

And the Judiciary Branch?

>.Almost zero power over the money. Though they did find Obamacare to be
constitutional. I don't follow how they managed that, but whatever, it's
done. -Kelly

I don't see why not Kelly.  The Fed can offer a tax rebate for a certain
behavior, such as investing in green energy programs.  So why can't the
offer a tax rebate for buying health insurance?  So I would argue that it is
legitimately a tax.  But the tax rebate for buying health insurance is
nowhere near compelling the track team to buy in, not even close.