[ExI] How to build a happier brain

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Wed Oct 30 09:16:45 UTC 2013

On 2013-10-30 02:58, Kelly Anderson wrote:
> I'm on the Tara side of things. I get more work done when I'm happy.
> Unfortunately, I also tend to get more speeding tickets.

Yes, being manic is sometimes useful. But it is typically not
sustainable over the long run. This is why it is great to be in a stable
state of hypomania or something similar.

Apropos genius, there is the long-running debate about whether bipolar
disorder is overrepresented among creative geniuses. Not settled, but I
did note that an entire room of postdocs at a maths department I visited
were bipolar.

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute