[ExI] How to build a happier brain

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Wed Oct 30 16:35:58 UTC 2013

On 2013-10-30 14:17, spike wrote:

> disorder is overrepresented among creative geniuses. Not settled, but I did
> note that an entire room of postdocs at a maths department I visited were
> bipolar. -- Dr Anders Sandberg
>
> Once we figure out that linkage, I want to know why it is so many creative
> geniuses are obsessive compulsive.

Because if you are obsessive you can become good at something, and if
you happen to be really creative and skilled then working obsessively on
something might be the factor that make your thing The Best rather than
among the best.

OCD is great for science, as long as it is not extreme enough to prevent
you from finishing. Just like Aspergers the right pinch of
non-neurotypicalness can be very useful in the right context.

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute