[ExI] moar Moore

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 18:57:20 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 6:37 PM, Kelly Anderson wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
>> When will the scaling stop? Today’s patterning technology, which relies on
>> 193-nm laser light, is becoming an ever more costly challenge, and its
>> natural successor, shorter-wavelength extreme ultraviolet lithography, has
>> been long delayed.
>

> Sounds like an interesting direction to go.

The Intel CEO is talking up this technology and is investing billions
in companies developing it.

<http://www.businessinsider.com/intel-is-investing-billions-in-this-tech-2013-10>

Quote:
Intel is working on 10 nm transistors by 2015 and 7 nm in 2017. These
are insanely small. In comparison, a human blood cell is about 7,000
nm while a strand of DNA is 2.5 nm.

Intel won't confirm that it will be using EUV to get there, but then
it's famous for not discussing its manufacturing technologies, for
obvious competitive reasons.

Still, if EUV makes it to market, we could see chips that make 7 nm
seem unimpressive by the end of the decade.