[ExI] Silence in the sky-but why?

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Sun Sep 1 22:33:30 UTC 2013

Spike spoke:

I can easily imagine mechanisms which would cause average intelligence to
> decrease.

You need look no further than Washington DC to see a prime example of such
a mechanism.

> ****
>
> We may be at, or nearing, or possibly even past, the peak average
> intelligence of our species, depending on how it is measured, and that last
> phrase is very important.

It's not the average intelligence that is important, but the intelligence
of the least average person in the smart direction. One Einstein makes up
for a million below average proles in some important ways.

> I know we have these IQ tests and performance is going up.  But we may be
> fooling ourselves.

As long as the long tail keeps reaching towards intelligence, I think we
are all good. So long as the dumb proles don't vote themselves too many
feeding troughs.

> ****
>
> We could conceive of an MBrain which would start tugging the sun towards
> another star, which is a necessary prerequisite to some earth-based life
> form colonizing the galaxy.

Why is that a necessary prerequisite?

-Kelly