[ExI] How to make progress (was Re: Why do political and economic leaders deny Peak Oil and Climate Change?)

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at canonizer.com
Tue Sep 10 00:21:58 UTC 2013

Hi Eugene,

You indicated knowing who the experts is the problem.  But at
Canonizer.com it isn't.  At Canonizer.com anyone can pick any experts
they trust, by selecting the Canonizer algorithm on the side bar.  So
far, the most popular 'expert' algorithms are peer ranking ones, where
peers rank each other.  And, again, when you're attempting to
communicate to anyone, or any group, you work from their chosen experts,
whatever that is.

You also asked:

Have you never ever wondered why your pet project, or LessWrong never
went anywhere?

Well, it's not wikipedia, YET.  But if you could see what it is becoming
from where I'm sitting, you'd laugh at this.  Remember, if you want to
communicate successfully, you just need to work from your targets
perspective.  I admit there isn't enough evidence to prove to you it's
capabilities, but it's making progress in that direction, and my
prediction is that it will eventually convince you.  As I indicated
earlier, at the very minimum it has stopped the hateful conversations,
like this one, where everyone repeated their POV, infinitely, on
consciousness, and everyone eventually started acusing the others as
Hitler, and so on.

Now, everyone that participates very much enjoys the conversation is
their understand is light years ahead of what it was when we were all
stuck with infinite YES!!  NO!! YES!..   Instead of infinitely repeating
your position, you just say your' in camp
http://canonizer.com/topic.asp/88/36 and everyone knows exactly what you
believe, how many experts agree, and how many don't, along with concise
and quantitative descriptions of why.  Nobody ever needs to give up, as
your camp, and everyone that agrees, is collaboratively continued to be
developed.  If anyone berings any new ideas, or new scientific evidence
to the table, it get's canonized, and most importantly of all, you get a
rigorous measure of just how good the information by know how many new
people it convinces.  If you want to know what the state of the art of
the conversation is, you can see a nice concise and quantitative summary
of what all 50 participators (including several world class experts like
Chalmers, Lehar...) believe - real time. (Note:  some have abandoned
their now falsified camps, due to real experimental data.)    Good luck
finding anything like that, in all the work you and everyone has put
into this conversation, or in anything like Less Wrong.

You asked what my top priorities are.  See my canonized list:

http://canonizer.com/topic.asp/120/8

What do you mean when you said: "I used to communicate concisely and
quantitatively."?

Finally, you s aid:

"I know why you hate what I'm saying. You think I'm the party who's
putting everything in jeopardy. Unfortunately, it's exactly the
other way round. Wrong goals kill."

I completely agree with this, and the facts of the matter of much of
what you say.  It's all about quantity and priorities.   I completely
agree that you could have something critically important to us all.
Most everything you are saying is just driving me away from agreeing
with you.  Especially when you say things like there is a consensus.  IF
that were true, you should be able to start to canonize things, and such
evidence would start to show up.  In fact, can you point to any expert I
might recognize. that supports this assertion?  Seems to me there is far
less evidence of any expert support for "peek oil" than for "global
warming", and I very much doubt their claims of 'expert consensus'.

Brent Allsop