[ExI] Silence in the sky-but why?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Sep 11 11:15:36 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 06:34:50AM -0400, Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:

> ### It all depends on what you mean by "similar". I meant that in a

If you sample spatial variation in a mature postecosystem from
a given point of origin versus one with a different point of
origin. The variability should not differ. Mature systems
lose founder effect information over time. The only information
about the point of origin might exist in personal memories
of very long-lived species.

> very weak way, implying only having only some basic evolved
> adaptations to survival in a given niche, although many details are
> likely to be different. Similar niches frequently produce very similar
> adaptations (fish, dolphins, ichthyosaurs, squid) in diverse animals.

Yes, precisely.

> I agree with you the intelligences in a single niche to be as similar
> and as diverse as the above creatures, although given diverse niches
> there will be also more fundamental diversity of intelligences.

I'm arguing that due to radiation the bulk of the postecosystem
will be nonsentient, despite of founders having been. There is
e.g. a strong selection pressure for pioneer organisms to lose
sentience. As such they have behaviour, but no ethics to
constrain it.