[ExI] Global cooling: Arctic ice caps grows by 60% against global warming predictions | Mail Online

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Sep 11 17:01:37 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 10:43:56AM -0600, Kelly Anderson wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 6:26 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
>
> > To me, global warming is too much like worrying about a rising fever while
> > the house is on fire.
> >

> I've never heard it said better Spike. I would have to note that the cure
> for the rising fever as prescribed by the local alternative holistic healer
> will cost more than ten houses.

You're still not getting it. There is no cure. Desperate people
will burn everything they can. The falling EROEI *accelerates*
the use of tight resources, because the net energy is falling
per unit of effort, so you have to increase the effort, as
long as the financials and thermodynamics allow it. Only
then you stop. (Unless population drops very suddenly,
which is an even worse outcome).

The course of global warming is graven in stone. Not a damn
thing can be done about it at this point, especially now that
we have multiple feedback mechanisms kicking in.

People should not spend synapseseconds on preventing the
CO2 release, but how to mitigate the impact of increased
CO2, which is not just about climate.