[ExI] Eternity in six hours: intergalactic spreading of intelligent life and sharpening the Fermi paradox

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 23:06:09 UTC 2013

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 3:06 AM, Tomaz Kristan <protokol2020 at gmail.com>wrote:

> The Rare Earth is the only sane explanation for our apparent solitude.

I don't know if this is a supportable assertion. It is certainly a top
contender in explanations, but the only "sane" one... not by a long shot.

Space is REALLY big. It seems hard to see intelligence from REALLY far off.
I mean how close would you have to be to be able to detect our intelligence.

Seriously, let's turn this around. Within how many light years could an
intelligent race detect our intelligence? How would they do it? Would
someone outside that light cone just assume there was no intelligence in
our direction? Is it not similarly likely that we would miss intelligence
out there for the same reasons?

-Kelly