[ExI] Dismantling the surveillance state

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Sep 15 17:40:54 UTC 2013

Bruce Schneier has a piece on redesigning the internet, Also published
in The Guardian newspaper.
<https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2013/09/take_back_the_i.html>

Quotes:

Government and industry have betrayed the Internet, and us.
By subverting the Internet at every level to make it a vast,
multi-layered and robust surveillance platform, the NSA has undermined
a fundamental social contract.

The NSA's actions are legitimizing the internet abuses by China,
Russia, Iran and others. We need to figure out new means of internet
governance, ones that makes it harder for powerful tech countries to
monitor everything. For example, we need to demand transparency,
oversight, and accountability from our governments and corporations.

Dismantling the surveillance state won't be easy. Has any country that
engaged in mass surveillance of its own citizens voluntarily given up
that capability? Has any mass surveillance country avoided becoming
totalitarian?

To the engineers, I say this: we built the Internet, and some of us
have helped to subvert it. Now, those of us who love liberty have to
fix it.