[ExI] roboburgers to go

Alejandro Dubrovsky alito at organicrobot.com
Thu Sep 26 09:12:58 UTC 2013

On 26/09/13 06:53, Kelly Anderson wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 2:26 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net
>
> The front could be semi-automated much faster than the kitchen. I'm
> actually surprised that they haven't turned the cash registers around on
> the front desk in McDonalds they way they have at Home Depot, Walmart
> and some supermarkets around here.

One of my local McDonalds tried it for a while, but the experiment
didn't last long and the machines got taken out. The interface seems
surprisingly hard to get right. Too many products, too many ingredients
that people can and do individually take out or add. Everyone skipped
the machines and long-queued at the human-operated registers (I did too,
even though I am a strictly machine-only queuer at the supermarket). I
suspect that they'll have to go with either a short-list of classic
options only, or very good speech recognition.