[ExI] Basic Income - Basic Housing?

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 13:32:17 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 8:35 AM, Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 12:56 AM, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>>   In the end, I agree with you. We should be judged by how we treat these
>>> people. But providing care to those who want it and forcing care on someone
>>> who just wants to be left alone are two very different things. It does get
>>> complicated when the person suffers from a paranoia. If I were homeless,
>>> for example, I might not want ANY kind of government help. It would be too
>>> easy for me to slip into that kind of paranoia. I'd probably walk to some
>>> place warm and just do my best on my own. I'm not terribly mentally ill. ;-)
>>>

>> If you developed a mental illness which would cause you to suffer
>> frightening delusions and hallucinations which would lead you to become
>> destitute and homeless, and there was a treatment for this which would
>> return you to your normal self but which, in your psychotic state, you
>> would refuse, would you want to be treated against your will?
>>

> The short answer, and this is a tautology logically based upon your
> question, is no.
>
> Unless you are asking the me now, the sane me, if I would want to be
> treated in the future, the insane me. In that case, the personal answer is
> "I don't know." I suppose that is what a medical power of attorney is for.
> If my trusted partner thought I should be treated against my will, then she
> should be able to. If I can convince her at the time not to treat me, then
> she wouldn't. Is that a cop out?

I don't think it's a cop-out.  It's a difficult problem.  What if your
proxy is similarly ... "off"?  (Or at least close-enough to your delusion
to be convinced not to treat you.)  What if I want you 'adjusted' and I
have proxy for your proxy?  Can I medicate her until she sees _my_ point
about you?

Is the government everyone's proxy by default?  Yeah you know where I'm
going because we're both already the same kind of paranoid.