[ExI] Basic Income - Basic Housing?

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Apr 8 16:53:01 UTC 2014

Subject: Re: [ExI] Basic Income - Basic Housing?

.

>.If you developed a mental illness which would cause you to suffer
frightening delusions and hallucinations which would lead you to become
destitute and homeless.-Kelly

The context of this discussion trends toward paranoia and schizophrenia,
mercifully uncommon conditions unlikely to impact most of his here directly.
But Alzheimer's is frightfully common and is highly likely to impact in some
way nearly everyone here, as a care giver or as a patient.  I have been
pondering this for some time now.  What rights has the patient when the
patient has amassed a fortune and finds himself at the mercy of decisions
made by those who would profit from his being incarcerated against his will?
Scenario: rich old geezer, no children, marries a much younger trophy wife,
they have a few good years together, then he starts getting a bit forgetful,
not so much fun anymore, but she has plenty of good years left in her
middle-aged body and wants rid of him, but wants his money, all of it rather
than the half she would get if she divorces him, or the almost nothing she
would get if the prenuptial agreement goes into effect upon their divorce.

At what point does society agree that this guy has AD and must go into a
care facility?

I don't see that our society provides adequate protection against this.